Teacher Poll

Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Anticipation Guide

In my ninth grade Romeo and Juliet unit, I use a pre and post anticipation guide to determine how students feel about relevant and emotional issues raised in the play. This gives me an opportunity to learn more about each student as we share our results. I get a sense of what their values are. At the end of the play, we respond to the same questions and discuss reasons for any changes in responses.

I like this activity because it engages the students on their level of interest and makes them want to read the play. As conflicts arise in the play, our discussions become deeper and more substantive as everyone weighs in on their personal judgment of what has transpired. I really like discussing the post results because it makes the kids realize that literature can influence the way they think.

No comments:

Post a Comment