Teacher Poll

Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Deeper Reading: Closing Thoughts

This was a good book. I’m glad to have read it. There are so many valuable insights and activities. I worry that I’ll forget them. Perhaps the act of blogging and discussing will help me digest some of this. Perhaps the real point of the book is not to remember specific activities, but just to get me thinking deeply about my teaching practice.

Once after an observation of my class, Billy Parker said to me that it didn’t bother him if I made mistakes or found weaknesses in my teaching. He said that it would most bother him if I didn’t. The important idea is that, while we’re not perfect teachers, we’re thinking and trying to improve.

Thanks for the opportunity to better myself.

I know that some people were not enthused to read this book, and that some were turned off by the baseball analogy. As far as I’m concerned, it was a out-of-the-park home run!!

1 comment:

  1. I agree that the book was a great read. I found many variations on things I was already doing with my class and tons of new ideas to add to my repertoire. As far as the baseball analogy, I guess this book shows that "jocks" actually do have a brain.

    ReplyDelete