Teacher Poll

Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Analytic Graphic Organizers

Posted by C. Chappell

Analytic Graphic Organizers
History is a subject that always builds on itself so I often find that graphic organizers are my go to because they very easily demonstrate the natural progression of events. I teach 11th graders so there is minimal discussion about the use and purpose of the organizer. After giving the students time to complete their answers I usually have them line up in some form or another whether by birthdates, height, age whatever and then fold the line in half and have them work with another partner to compare and discuss what they came up with. I found that what the normal reaction to the think pair share activities were was that there was always one student that felt less confident in their answers and would immediately try to change theirs to match their new partners because they claimed “it sounded better” so I’ve added pieces to my organizers to have what I think what my partner thinks and what we discussed and came to agree upon. This way I get to not only see how they worked together but I’ll hear an independent answer as well as a group effort which had to be created through some communication.

No comments:

Post a Comment