Teacher Poll

Thursday, March 11, 2010

Post 2: Anticipation guide

Post #2

The objective of this task is two-fold: to prime students to think about certain issues before reading To Kill a Mockingbird (so that they are reading with purpose), and then to have them write about their thoughts after reading the novel. I used an anticipation guide I found online at:
http://www.mrjeffrey.com/English%20I/To%20Kill%20a%20Mockingbird/Anticipation%20Guide.doc

Students filled out the left half of the anticipation guide before we began. I did not discuss the statements with them at this time, because I wanted them to fill it out honestly without any input on my part. I them collected the guides and kept them until we finished the novel. After discussing the novel and its themes, I redistributed the guides. Students completed Part III on the anticipation guide as one of their journal entries. They had to write about either a) a belief that had changed as a result of reading the novel, or b) a belief that became stronger as a result of reading the novel. They were required to write at least ¾ of a page and use specific details from the novel. This assignment showed understanding of theme, and also helped students apply the themes to real life.

I have found journaling to be very helpful, especially in 9th and 10th grades, as it gets students involved and thinking critically about their reading. Journaling requires students to formulate their own ideas and responses to reading. It also helps improve writing skills and fluency. I have not used anticipation guides very much in the past, but I think I will use them for nearly every novel now, especially with the underclassmen. Anticipation guides really seem to help focus students’ reading and understanding of theme and author’s purpose.

No comments:

Post a Comment