Teacher Poll

Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Don't Use Graphic Organizers into Charts

Ok, I have to say I often do this and after reading this I slapped my hand a tad for doing so. I however use it in my 11th grade classes to refocusing their writing in compare and contrast situations like William Bradford and John Smith writings. However, after realizing before the Graduation Test that my 11th graders were still struggling with some middle school terms in plotline (after talking to them about what my 9th graderw were doing), I came up with something that is a graphic organizer, but not a worksheet.

I followed some examples in the book, but again, I think I made it my own to form it to my needs. I gave them reminding background information on plot line (short notes)

I took a short story that we were reading, formed groups based on abilities, and make them find the exposition, turning point, rising actions, climax, falling actions, and resolution. They had to get this approved before they moved forward in order to re-enforce their next step. They had to take board paper and depict in 6 frames the 6 elements of the plot in the story. I made each person accountable by making each person responsible for 2 frames of the comic frames.

It actually turned out very well, got them to relearn something very basic, was a lot of fun, and only took 1 class period to do in all.

No comments:

Post a Comment