Teacher Poll

Friday, March 19, 2010

chapter 5

Why do we have to read this book? Why do we have to read so many books in school? I don't like to read long thick books. I hear these statements and questions at least once a week. I want students to read to improve their vocabulary and to expose them to new ideas, cultures and experiences. I try and give them answers that will motivate them to want to be successful in school. But I never really know what they are thinking. Chapter five discusses strategies and techniques to use in deepening students comprehension through a second-draft reading of text. I have not used any of the said strategies this semester but plan on using the multi-layered time line within the next week or so. He discusses a what/why time line has one layer explains what happened and the next layer explains why it happened. Then there is the character time line where students follow a specific character in text and the time line shows (1) what the character does; (2) why the character behaved that way; (3) what the character feels about the chain of events pg. 94 (Gallagher). This book (what I have read) is filled with practical suggestions that really work in the high school classroom. I can't wait to try a few new strategies!

No comments:

Post a Comment