Teacher Poll

Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Double Journals - Double Notes

I teach this to my 9th gradrs in Writer's Worshop as well as my 11th graders. I think it allows communication between teacher and student as well as allows them to study better as a whole.

As Double Journals - after we do a lesson or unit - I make them go back through what we read in that lesson or unit and find a passage they really liked, copy it, and then respond to that passage. They often hand it in and I read what they choose and why. I think add my own comments and pass them back. Usually, I ask questions, ask them explain farther, or just tease them more to get them indepth . They often respond back and it keeps going. I have a 6 conversations going in one of my classes from my first unit. It has proved to be educational for me to get inside their minds (which can be scary at points) and it makes them take things farther than just a silly assignment for a grade.

As for Double Notes - as they read, they are to jot down the basic outline of the story, questions they might have, words they don't understand on one side of the paper. As we go through the story, the fill in the blanks, ask questions, get vocabulary and so forth on the other half of the paper. It keeps them focused as well allows them to see the story as a whole in the end. It keeps classroom questions going too.

I liked this practice and glad I got these ideas from the book. It seems to be working thus far.

No comments:

Post a Comment