Teacher Poll

Sunday, March 21, 2010

Wednesday, March 10, 2010
Chapter one of Deeper Reading
This chapter helped me look at my special needs students differently. I realize many of them have different reading levels, but I needed to reach them on a different level as well. Many of my students can recite songs, lines from movies and commercials but can not recall lines of a story read to them. Chapter one is about finding ways to help students get to a deeper meaning of reading text. I used the conversation piece from page five in my eleventh grade co teaching class. Two of my non readers voluntered to read the conversation piece (a loud) and were really engaged and looking forward to reading. After the class heard the story twice they wrote down what they imagined happened. I was able to get more students involved in this short story and to share The class was on a natural high so I went into the introduction of the next story we were going to read The Crucible. I tried something different with that as well. The little conversation piece gave my students another way to look at reading simple stories. It's hard sometimes trying to help students with reading when they don't see the realavance in it. After reading this chapter I have decided to use a different approach and it seems to work. Thanks for the little things that work to make a difference.
POSTED BY ROSETTA DARBY AT 10:21 AM

No comments:

Post a Comment