Teacher Poll

Wednesday, March 10, 2010

The Lies My Teacher Told Me

After reading the Chapter on how to teach slavery, I have new insight into how to approach it in my Ethnic Studies class. As we all know slavery as a topic is very sensitive, but it has to be taught and not in a romantized version as with Gone with the Wind. It also has to be taught so as not to accuse my Caucasian students for the ills of generations gone by. It has to be an effective learning experience and dialogue for all students.

1 comment:

  1. We have been talking about "how" history is handled in a multicultural class I am taking. The focus is not only "how" we look at history but "how" teachers disseminate information. The traditional role of the teacher is to give information and I think that trends are changing where we might not see the teacher as more of a facilitator. I also think that in the United States there is such an egocentric view that often students think that our own country's experience with slavery is the only experience. Differentiation, content literacy, critical thinking-all of these strategies are really just methods for encouraging higher order thinking skills which increases knowledge retention.

    ReplyDelete