Teacher Poll

Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Reflection of Reading

Now, I assign my students to read one per nine weeks to read outside of the classroom which we do not 'test" per say; however, they do write reflection journals and have a project to complete with it by the end of the nine weeks. I was not getting journals I wanted; so, I read the reflection chapter with great desire and tried one of exercises.

With the book Their Eyes Were Watching God, we researched what time period the setting is, the places Janie went during this time period, and what might have been the issues. We outlined this together as a class and what we were looking for the book.

I think it opened their eyes that they were reading more than just reading a book and doing journals on with a project, but they were seeing that some issues of that time period and the places that they knew were different in some ways and ye tnot so different than today's.

They timelined the issues throughout the book and Janie's journey through the cities, issues, and the new ones they didn't document down.

I got a lot better reflection journals and we are doing it for the second book since it worked out so well. It gave them some more reality to what the books was really about and that it does to apply to their own lives and history.

No comments:

Post a Comment